At age 7, a car ran over her; now at 27, she uses only one leg • What happened 20 yrs after?


MY ambition was to become a banker, secure a good husband who can take care of me and my children.This ambition is becoming a tall dream due to this problem that has defied solution. “I know that I will overcome it I will triumph I will not die in this position. I will realise my ambition I will still go back to school to complete my studies.” These were the words of 27-year-old Tawakalitu Temitope Raji, who two years after her case was made public is yet to get assistance.

 Despite that, she has not given up hope, believing that God who created her will raise help for her. Tawakalitu, a native of Ila-Orangun in Osun State and an Ordinary National Diploma (OND) Accounting graduate of Osun State Polytechnic, Iree, cannot walk properly. The authorities of University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan has said that Tawakalitu would need N1.5 million to cure the sore on her leg and correct her hips which have dislocated. 

 Cruel fate befell her when at the age of 7 she was knocked down by a fast moving vehicle in Ibadan when she was returning home from school. “That was in 1992,” she said. She escaped death by a whisker because she was pulled out from under the tyres. “Many people thought I had died, my mum had broken down in tears, but later when I opened my eyes at the hospital, the nurses around said in Yoruba language, Miracle le leyi (this is a miracle).

 “A spiritualist had told my mum then that she would need to pray very well if what God had proposed for me would not be truncated.” During the accident, Tawakalitu had fracture on her left leg and had sustained injuries in other parts of her body. According to her, she “got a proper medical attention at a hospital in Ayeye area of Ibadan where she was rushed to.” The leg healed on time and she was able to go back to school.

 Tawakalitu did not have any complaint over the leg again until 16 years after when a boil suddenly appeared on the spot that was stitched then. “This was in 2008 after I had completed my OND programme,” Tawakalitu said. According to the fair complexioned girl whose natural facial beauty has not been over shadowed by her predicament, “we started with self medication because we thought it was just ordinary boil.”

 “I later moved from one herbal home to another and instead of the wound to heal, it got bigger and bad. I found it difficult to walk properly because my left leg could no longer support my body weight. The burden of carrying my body now shifted to my right leg. Consequently, my right hip dislocated. “In 2009, I was taken to the Catholic Hospital, Oluyoro, Ibadan and was later referred to the UCH Ibadan. An X-ray was done and the doctor said the sore had to go and corrections effected on both the left and right hips if I was to walk properly again,” she explained. Copy of a letter with reference no HSD9/Vol.

XVI and dated June 28, 2011 titled: Re: Raji Tawakalitu Tope — UCH No 1153343 projected cost of treatment written by the UCH and signed by Mrs G.F. Logun on behalf of the Medical Advisory Committee Chairman and also the Chief Medical Director, stated that N1,498,300 would be required to perform the operation on her legs. The letter also added, “please note that the cost given above is an estimate which is subject to change with time and course of treatment.” 

 According to Tawakalitu whose mother sells palm wine and whose father is a hunter, since her case was made public through the media sometimes ago, only N31,000 had been donated to her. She explained the efforts she had made to have audience with the wife of Oyo State governor, Mrs Florence Ajimobi but which were thwarted due to bureaucracy. Tawakalitu said, “at times, it is always as if I won’t come out of this condition or that my enemy has triumphed.

 I am certain Insha Allah, I will laugh last.” Mr David Olanrewaju, the Executive Director of Succour, a non governmental organisation which brought Tawakalitu to the attention of Sunday Tribune said that his organisation has just stepped into the girl’s matter, pleading with individuals, government and corporate organisations to come to her aid. Donations to save Tawakalitu can be sent to Raji Tawakalitu Temitope, Account Number 6018782818, Fidelity Bank Plc, Ibadan. Her contact number is 08076775496.

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!