I’ll join armed robbery gang if govt bans okada


I bet it with you, I'll be among many other Nigerian youths that will join armed robbery gang, should the Nigerian government ban okada business in the country or law enforcement agencies in the country continue to inflict more pains on okada riders. “This is not a laughing or bragging talk.

 I'm serious about it. If Nigerian government could be insensitive to the unemployment problem among Nigerian graduates, but consider banning okada, the last hope of an average Nigerian youth, then it is no sin or offence to join armed robbery gang.” That was the submission of one of the okada riders (names withheld) in Ibadan, a graduate of Computer Science from one of the institutions in the South West part of the country, who resolved to riding okada since he could not secure a job eight years after he graduated.

 The okada rider, while explaining his ordeals as a Nigerian said: “I, among other Nigerian youths and graduates, have lost hope in the government. They have always promised us unrealistic better life and employment. This had turned many of us to okada riders. As if that is not enough, law enforcement agencies are also fond of taking pounds of our flesh, collecting unnecessary tolls from us.

 “Recently, a female police officer, in mufti, stopped me, haggling with me to take her to Mokola Roundabout. In the process, another male police came; accusing me of packing illegally, then both of them arrested me and took me to the station. That was when I knew that the woman is also a police officer and they are working together. “It cost me N500.00 to regain my liberty and my okada. Can you imagine me paying such amount two to three times a day, what will be left for me to keep body and soul together?” “Yes.

 It is true. Many Nigerian youths will automatically join the league of armed robbers if government should be insensitive to their plight. They can call the Boko Haram for dialogue, because they are giving the government sleepless nights, but they can't consider providing employment for the teeming unemployed Nigerian youths. 

Rather, they keep on encouraging us to learn trade and be on our own, when there is no hope of where to get fund for the business,” another okada rider, a graduate of Business Administration from one of the institutions in the country added. Meanwhile, the okada riders described the reckless okada riders among them as illiterate and alcohol-induced members. “We don’t mind if these set are arrested and fined, not the innocent and the cultured ones,” one of them said

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!