Showing posts with label Anders Behring Breivik news. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Anders Behring Breivik news. Show all posts

Anders Breivik could avoid prison after psychologists rule he was 'insane during massacre

Leave a Comment
Norwegian gunman Anders Breivik could avoid prison after two psychologists found he was insane during his July 22 massacre.
If a court agrees with that assessment, the self-declared anti-Muslim militant cannot be sentenced to prison but will be subjected to compulsory psychiatric care, prosecutors told reporters in Oslo.
'The conclusions of the forensic experts is that Anders Behring Breivik was insane,' prosecutor Svein Holden said, adding Breivik was in a state of psychosis during Norway's worst peacetime massacre.
In Norway, an insanity defense requires that a defendant be in a state of psychosis while committing the crime with which he or she is charged.
That means the defendant has lost contact with reality to the point that he's no longer in control of his own actions.
The 243-page report will be reviewed by a panel from the Norwegian Board of Forensic Medicine, which could ask for additional information and add its own opinions.
The head of that panel told had reporters in July that it was unlikely that Breivik would be declared legally insane because the attacks were so carefully planned and executed.
Breivik last month admitted killing 77 people, including eight in a bombing in central Oslo.
But the 32-year-old right-wing extremist denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway and Europe.

The two psychiatrists, in their report, concluded that Breivik lived in his 'own delusional universe where all his thoughts and acts are guided by his delusions'.
In a rambling manifesto posted on the Internet before the attacks, Breivik wrote that his arrest would open 'the propaganda phase' of his operation to ignite a war to defend Europe against a supposed Muslim takeover.
Investigators say Breivik set off a fertilizer bomb outside the government headquarters on July 22, killing eight people, before heading to an island retreat, where youth sections of Norway’s governing Labour Party were gathered for their annual summer camp.

Read More...

Norway mass killer likely insane: lawyer

Leave a Comment
The lawyer for Norwegian terror suspect Anders Behring Breivik says his client claims he is in a "state of war", working with other anti-Muslim terror cells in Norway and abroad.


Geir Lieppestad told reporters in Oslo the case indicates that Breivik is likely "insane", but it is too early to say if he will plead insanity.

He said his client expected to be killed during the attacks which killed 76 people and was surprised "that in his mind he succeeded".

"He is in a war and he says that the rest of the world, especially the Western world, doesn't understand his point of view, but in 60 years time, we will all understand him," he said.

"He thought he'd be killed after the bombing, after the action on the island, and he also thought he'd be killed at trial.

"He believes this war will continue for 60 years and in 60 years this war will be won."

Breivik confessed to last week's bombing in the capital and a shooting rampage on the nearby island of Utoya, but he has pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges.

"He believes that when you're in a war you can do things like that without pleading guilty," the lawyer said.

"He's in his bubble."

If his client is adjudged medically insane, Mr Lippestad said: "He can't be punished in a jail."

Asked whether Behring Breivik had shown any empathy for his mainly young victims, the lawyer said: "No."

"He says that he's sorry he had to do this but it was necessary to start the revolution," he said.

"He hates anyone who believes in democracy. My point of view is that he's a very cold person."

Breivik claims he acted to save Europe from what he says is Muslim colonisation.
Crimes against humanity

Meanwhile, authorities are considering charging Breivik with crimes against humanity.

Faced with the worst crimes on its territory since World War II, many in Norway have been dismayed by the prospect that the perpetrator could serve just 21 years behind bars, the maximum sentence allowed for the terrorism charges he currently faces.

But prosecutor Christian Hatlo told the Aftenposten newspaper that police are now envisaging charging him with crimes against humanity.

"Police have so far cited ... the law on terrorism but seeking other charges has not been excluded," police spokesman Sturla Henreiksboe said.

"No final decision has yet been taken."

Breivik admitted carrying out the attacks at his first court appearance on Monday, when he was remanded in custody for eight weeks.

The 32-year-old says he was on a crusade to save Norway and Western Europe from a Muslim invasion and that the attacks targeting the Labour Party-led government and its youth wing were "cruel" but "necessary".

Police have come in for heavy criticism over over the time it took them to reach Utoya island where Breivik shot dead 68 of his victims in an attack that lasted around 90 minutes.

It also emerged on Monday that police investigated Breivik in March for a purchase of chemicals, but the probe was dropped.

The incident was judged too insignificant to warrant a follow-up, Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) head Janne Kristiansen said.

In a press conference on Tuesday, Norway's justice minister Knut Storberget hailed the "fantastic" work done by police.

"I had the opportunity to thank police in Oslo and other districts and other organs for their fantastic work," he said after meeting police chiefs.

"These are people who worked much harder than you could expect of anyone; these are people who interrupted their holidays and who volunteered to help from all parts of the country."

Read More...

Norwegian man kills 91 in one of history's worst mass shootings

Leave a Comment
The man responsible for the massacre in Norway was a member of a Swedish nazi forum which encourages attacks on government buildings.
It was also revealed by local police that he had extreme right wing views who hated Muslims.
According to Swedish website Expo Anders Behring Breivik is a member of 'Nordisk' which has 22,000 members and focuses on political terrorism.
Officers also found a series of raving internet posts by the 32-year-old, who has been charged with two counts of terrorism after gunning down children on the island of Utoya and detonating a bomb in Oslo yesterday.
Media reports in Norway described Breivik as a 'loner', who lived with his mother in a wealthy suburb of west Oslo, was well-educated and enjoyed hunting.
Only a few days ago he set up a Twitter account and posted a single message: 'One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests'.
It is attributed to the English philosopher John Stuart Mill, whose concept of liberty justified the freedom of the individual in opposition to unlimited state control.
The account appears to have only been set up a few days ago.
On his Facebook profile, Breivik describes himself as a Christian and a conservative.
It also listed interests such as body-building and freemasonry.
Breivik is believed to have grown up in Oslo, and studied at the Oslo School of Management.
He later appears to have moved out of the city and established Breivik Geofarm, a company believed to be an organic farm.

It specialised in melons and root vegetables. There is speculation among the media in Norway that this may have allowed him easy access to fertiliser, an ingredient used in bomb-making.
Along with the farm, he also appears to own a flat in Oslo. Breivik had no military background except for ordinary national service and no criminal record.
It is thought that the 32-year-old is a former member of Labour's opposition youth party, Fremskrittspartiet.

He is reported to have attended the same Smestad primary school as Norway's crown prince.
He is later said to have attended schools in Oslo's Gaustad and the Handelsgymnasium.
Classmate Michael Tomola, who knew Breivik from the age of 13 to 16, said: 'He was rather introverted at school, even though he was a good student. I'm very surprised by this. I had a good impression, although he became very engaged in subjects he cared for. He got very extreme about things he cared for.'

According the website Atlantic.com, Breivik expressed extremist Islamophobic views on forums and criticised immigration policies.

He argued on a Swedish news website that the media were not critical enough about Islam and claimed that Geert Wilders' Party for Freedom in the Netherlands was the only 'true' party of conservatives.

Read More...