Showing posts with label bomb explosion gist. Show all posts
Showing posts with label bomb explosion gist. Show all posts

Suspected Boko Haram member dies in wheel barrow bomb attack

A suspected bomber was, yesterday, killed in Maiduguri, Borno State capital, when a bomb, strapped to a wheel barrow exploded at Ramat Square along West End road and Gwange ward. 

 Confirming the incidents in a statement, Joint Task Force, JTF, Spokesman, Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa, said: “There was an Improvised Explosive Device, IED, explosion today (yesterday) at West End, Ramat Square General Area of Maiduguri metropolis. “The device was concealed in a wheel barrow by suspected Boko Haram sect member and it exploded at about 8.35am. 

The owner of the wheel barrow was killed instantly, while attempting to escape.” Sagir, however, said apart from the mastermind of the blast, no other casualty was recorded and that the area was cordoned off and swept by the Bomb Disposal Arm of the JTF.
Read More...

BREAKING NEWS: 2 Bomb Explosions In Maiduguri

A bomb planted at the West End roundabout in Maiduguri has injured several members of the Joint Task Force in Maiduguri according to eyewitnesses.

 Newsmen learnt that the large bomb embedded at the West End roundabout, which was remotely controlled, exploded around 10 AM Nigerian time. 

A second blast was reported at Sabon Layi area in Gwange Ward. Details of the second blast are sketchy. 

 The JTF spokesperson, Lt. Col Musa Sagir, confirmed there were explosions in the city but said a full briefing will be made to the media as the JTF was still actively patrolling the city to determine those responsible for the latest attacks
Read More...

42 years after, civil war bomb explodes in Enugu

Leave a Comment

42 years after the Nigerian civil war ended, a bomb, believed to have been dropped during the period, exploded in Enugu, the capital of Enugu State. There were, however, no casualties, the police said.

The war, which saw the south-east attempting to break away from the Nigerian federation under the name, Biafra, started in 1967 and ended in 1970.

The bomb exploded on Friday, in the rice mill section of Oye Market in Awgu Local Government Area of the state at about 2.50 p.m. (1450 hours).

Although the source of the bomb could not be immediately ascertained, experts said it could be one of the unexploded bombs dropped during the war.

Enugu State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Mr Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the blast, said the command had commenced full scale investigations into the incident.

”We have commenced full scale investigations into the blast suspected to be that of the unexploded ordinance that was used and abandoned during the civil war.

”The incident allegedly occurred at about 1450hrs of 30/03/12 at rice mill part of Oye Market of Awgu in Enugu State of Nigeria. No casualty was reported as there was no loss of life or property,” the police spokesman said.

According to the PPRO, men of the anti-bomb squad of the command picked the remnant of the suspected unexploded ordinance for necessary analysis.

Amaraizu recalled the sensitization campaign earlier carried out by the command in conjunction with the media over the devastating effect of the unexploded ordinances and advised the people not to tamper with them any time they come across such explosives in their farms or any other area affected by the civil war. The command, however, assured the people of the state of “maximum safety.”

The Humanitarian De-miners from the Ministry of Defence, Abuja had, in 2010, carried out scanning of the areas ravaged by the civil war in South Eastern Nigeria and recovered several bombs and other explosives which were later destroyed.

Mr. Bala Yakubu, the leader of the group, disclosed that several bombs, including conventional and locally made landmines used during the civil war, were still posing serious danger in the war affected areas.

Only last year, a sophisticated bomb was recovered from a building site belonging to an Anglican Church along One Day Road, Enugu by operatives of the state police bomb squad.
Read More...

Bomb attack: Gombe govt imposes curfew

Leave a Comment

Gombe government has imposed a 24- hour curfew on Gombe metropolis following an attack on Gombe Police Divisional headquarters on Friday night by some unknown persons.

Mr Habu Dawaki, State Commissioner for Information, who announced the curfew, said it was indefinite.

He, therefore, called on the people of the state to be law-abiding as the measure was taken to safeguard lives and property.

The attackers used explosives to bomb the station, followed by sporadic gun-shots.

The police authorities have yet to comment on the incident, which occurred at about 7.30 pm.
Read More...

Bomb Explosions In 1st Mechanized Division Army Barracks, Kawo Kaduna

Leave a Comment

Notorious islamic militant group, Boko Haram has struck the 1st mechanized army division in Kawo, Kaduna state with multiple bomb explosions, this as disrupted activities in northern parts of the state.

Will post some photos and more updates later.
Read More...