Showing posts with label october bomb gist. Show all posts
Showing posts with label october bomb gist. Show all posts

Oct 1 bombing suspect, Okah, collapses, unconscious

Leave a Comment

ONE of the suspects arrested in connection with the October 1, 2010 Independence Day bombings in Abuja, Charles Okah, reportedly collapsed inside his cell at Kuje Prisons, Abuja, at the weekend, and was rushed to the National Hospital, Abuja, by prisons’ officials.

Sunday Vanguard learnt that he had a seizure and fainted, on Friday night. He was taken to the hospital around 10.00 p.m. in a critical condition.

His lawyer, Festus Keyamo, told Sunday Vanguard, yesterday evening, “I am monitoring the situation”.

A source said Charles, a brother to Henry Okah, one of the suspected leaders of Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta, MEND, who is currently in detention in South-Africa and also undergoing trial over the same offense, was locked in the cell with two others.

Charles is facing trial before a Federal High Court in Abuja, along with other suspects for the Abuja bombings. One of the suspects, Francis Osovwo, alias General Gbokos, had died, March 12, in Kuje Prisons, allegedly because of the chemical substance he inhaled during a fumigation of his cell.

Our source said that Charles was met “lying on the bare floor covered in dust and dirt” by a warder on night duty.
“His blood pressure was very low and his pulse non-existent. He was later stretchered out to the prisons’ clinic, where the prison staff tried to revive him.

“They failed in their attempt. He was later carried unconscious into an ambulance and conveyed to the National Hospital, Abuja”.

Speculations were rife as the cause of the seizure. Some said it was due to intense heat which he was subjected to in his solitary cell, while others said it was due to his strange neurological and medical condition.
Read More...

Oct 1 bombing: Court stays proceedings in Okah’s trial

Leave a Comment

An Abuja Federal High Court yesterday stayed proceedings in the case of Charles Okah and two others standing trial for allegedly participating in the October 2010 Independence day bombing.
Justice Gabriel Kolawole said the court will await the Appeal Court’s decision on an application filed by Okah and Obi Nwabueze challenging the jurisdiction of the court.

The court also declined granting bail to the accused persons.

Okah was initially standing trial alongside Nwabueze, Edmund Ebuware and Tiemkemfa Francis, but Francis died on March 2, in prison custody.

Yesterday at the resumed trial, counsel to Okah and Nwabueze, Oghenovo Otemu, orally applied for bail of his clients after he informed the court that the inhuman conditions the accused persons are subjected to in Kuje prisons has resulted to their ill-health.

Opposing the application, prosecuting counsel Alex Iziyon (SAN), asked the court to be hesitant in exercising its discretion in granting the application. He said statements made by plaintiffs counsel regarding their living conditions in prison, is malicious, unverified and highly speculative.
Read More...

October 1 bombing: Suspect dies in Abuja prison

Leave a Comment

• Dehydration suspected • Lawyer alleges murder • Security tightened at prison • Panic over Okah’s failing health

One of the suspects standing trial for the October 1, 2010 bomb explosions in Abuja , Francis Osuvwo, died on Friday night at Kuje Prison,Abuja, apparently of dehydration.

His lawyer, Mr. Festus Keyamo, alleged murder.

He said Osuvwo died "on the heels of series of complaints by counsel representing him and his co-accused about the maltreatment meted out on the accused persons by the Nigerian Government in custody."

General Gbokos, as the deceased was called by his friends, had been standing trial with three others Charles Okah, Obi Nwabueze, and Edmund Ebiware.

Charles is the younger brother of Henry Okah, leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND),who himself is facing trial in South Africa for the Independence Day bombing in Abuja.

There was also panic yesterday over Charles’ health.

Security at the prison was immediately tightened yesterday following fears of reprisals by MEND.

A relation of Osuvwo said he died at about 9pm in the prison on Friday and his corpse has been deposited at the National Hospital in Abuja .

The source said when the suspect’s condition deteriorated over the last two weeks, some Ijaw youths and his relations responded by sending emissaries to the National Security Adviser and prominent Ijaw leaders to draw attention to his plight.

Said the source, "We sent the representation because the Prison’s Medical Director, Dr. Bello, had no idea of what was ailing the man.

"His symptoms included loss of memory, hallucination, weakness, loss of the use of his limbs, scaly and whitish skin from head to toe and his anal was full of sores.

"Francis’ last days were really pathetic and shameful; he was left lying on the floor of his cell for days, immobile, stooling and peeing on himself with no medical attention from the prison doctors and nurses.

"The death of Francis Osuvwo can be attributed to negligence by the Nigerian Prison Service officials who have allowed themselves to be used as agents of persecution and the prison itself as a concentration camp where the four suspects have suffered various forms of inhuman treatment, including the fumigation of the suspects inside their cells.

"Francis reacted badly to the chemical components. Charles Okah too is in a critical state and everyone is praying that he too does not go the way of Francis Osuvwo.

"Osuvwo is survived by his wife, Philomena, a son (Kevin), and four daughters among who are Precious and Princess."

Responding to a question, the relation said: "Please, let the world know that the late Francis Osuvwo was an innocent man but he got the maximum death punishment for a crime that he knew nothing about.

"Also state that prior to their arraignment in court, the four men did not know one another save for Charles Okah and Obi Nwabueze who have been family friends for a long time.

"The first time the men accused of the October 1, 2010 bombing met was at the interrogation room of the State Security Service (SSS) headquarters, Abuja. They also met on the first day of their arraignment at the Federal High Court, Abuja on December 7, 2010."

A prison source said government had been notified of Osuvwo’s death.

The source said: "It is true that the suspect died at the prison clinic but there was no negligence at all. We have a standard clinic at the prison and we gave the suspect the best attention."

Keyamo, Osuvwo’s lawyer, in a statement said : "We are solicitors representing some of the Accused Persons in FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA v. Charles Okah & others alleged of carrying out bombings during the October 1, 2010 Independence Day Celebrations in Abuja.

"On, Saturday March 3rd, 2012 one of the suspects in the case by the name, TIEMKENFA FRANCIS OSVWO (ALIAS GENERAL GBOKOS) died in the Kuje Prison.

"His death came on the heels of series of complaints by counsel representing him and his co-accused about the maltreatment meted out on the accused persons by the Nigerian Government in custody.

"The sickness leading to the death of TIEMKENFA FRANCIS OSVWO (ALIAS GENERAL GBOKOS) started when their cell was fumigated with a strange substance on the 8th of January, 2012, which affected the health of all the four suspects. Suffice it to reiterate that we, their solicitors raised alarm about that development at the time.

"Prior to his death in custody, ‘Gbokos’ had been urinating and defecating on himself in the prison and despite pleas by his solicitors requesting that he be treated properly, no one attended to him.

"On the 21st of February, 2012 TIEMKENFA FRANCIS OSVWO (ALIAS GENERAL GBOKOS) collapsed in court which stalled hearing for that day but despite the order of the court on the day in question that TIEMKENFA FRANCIS OSVWO (ALIAS GENERAL GBOKOS) be medically attended to by the Prisons authorities, no medication was administered on him. It was obvious therefore that the authorities wanted him dead.

"May we for the umpteenth time resound our alarm that other accused persons in the October 1, 2010 bombing still in Kuje Prisons are facing similar conditions that claimed the life of TIEMKENFA FRANCIS OSVWO.

"At this juncture, we are constrained to state that we find it extremely inequitable that virtually all the suspects linked to the Boko Haram bombings have been enjoying bail while our clients, the alleged masterminds of the October 1, 2010 bombings, (still presumed innocent) continue to suffer indignities in custody.

"We therefore, respectfully, call on all well-meaning Nigerians join in the call for their bail and the Nigerian Government to facilitate the release of the other suspects in custody with a view to attending to their deteriorating health before they die in custody."

The four suspects were arraigned before a Federal High Court in Abuja , presided over by Justice Gabriel Kolawole, for alleged complicity in the two explosions which hit the Federal Capital Territory , Abuja on October 1, 2010 during Nigeria ‘s 50th Independence celebration.
Read More...

South Africa postpones Okah’s trial

Leave a Comment

The man accused of masterminding two deadly bombings at 50th independence celebrations in Abuja will face trial in October after a South African court Monday delayed his case by nine months.

Henry Okah is facing trial in South Africa, where he has permanent residence, on charges that he orchestrated the twin car bombings — which killed 12 people in Abuja on October 1, 2010 — from his home in Johannesburg.

Lawyers for both sides said Monday they needed more time to prepare their arguments.



“Neither the prosecution nor the defence was in a condition to continue with the trial at the moment, so we agreed to postpone it,” Okah’s lawyer Rudi Krause told AFP.

Dressed in jeans, a black t-shirt and a blazer, Okah looked visibly thinner than his first court appearance following his arrest the day after the bombings. He was denied bail last year and has been in jail awaiting trial.

He also faces terrorism charges in connection with two explosions on March 15, 2010 in the southern Nigerian city of Warri, a major hub of the country’s oil-rich Delta region.

South Africa is trying Okah because Nigerian authorities have not applied for his extradition, said prosecutor Shaun Abrahams.

“We have extra-territorial jurisdiction. It is part of our international obligation” to try cases of terrorism, he told journalists outside the courtroom.

Okah has denied involvement in the attacks, which were claimed by the militant Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).

Prosecutors accuse Okah of being the head of MEND, which says it is fighting to give the people of the Delta more access to the region’s oil wealth.

Okah has denied being the group’s leader.
Read More...