Passengers return home because of high fares

Leave a Comment
Many intending passengers from Gusau have postponed their trips because of increased transport fares, arising from the high cost of fuel.

Fuel prices have risen after the Federal Government announced the removal of subsidy on petrol on Sunday.

At Lalan motor-park and Sokoto Road motor-park in Gusau, many people, who wished to travel changed their mind because of high fares.

Mr Suleiman Adamu, an unemployed graduate, said he came from Sokoto on his way to Kaduna and Abuja in search of a job.

He said “because my money is little, I joined one of these trailers going to the eastern parts of the country but it broke down near Maru, so I came here to stay the night so that I can continue today.

“I did not believe that this thing (fuel increase) will start today until when I got to the motor-park, I saw people in large numbers leaving the park.

“I was scared thinking there was a security problem until one lady told me that it was because they could not afford to pay the new fares.”

Mr. Ezekiel Andrews, a trader, who said he had four children attending secondary schools within and outside the state, said he was now reconsidering whether his children would resume on Jan. 9.

“As it is my brother I noticed that even shop owners are now closing their shops and I believe they want to increase their prices and make it difficult for parents to take their children back to school,” Andrews said.

Some car owners described the situation as difficult.

Malam Sidi Kaulahi, a journalist said he would require N600 to fill his car tank at the current rate of fuel unlike in the past when he spent N3,460 on the purchase.

Meanwhile, transportation from Gusau to Kano or Kaduna which used to cost N900 rose to between N2,000 and N2,500 in cars, while buses charged from N1,300 to N1,500 instead of N600 before.

Similarly, transportations in the city experienced fare increases as commercial motorcycles charged between N70 and N100 per ride against N30 or N50 before.

However, government-owned buses charged old rates, although they carried one extra passenger per seat. (NAN)

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment