Police save journalist from being set ablaze by hoodlums

Leave a Comment

Save for the timely intervention of policemen on patrol, a journalist, Mr Charles Akpan with Inspiration 32.5 FM would have been set ablaze, today, when a group of armed hoodlums intercepted him on his way to work.

Akpan, who narrated his ordeal to Vanguard, said the incident happened in the early hours of yesterday, at Jakande Estate, Lekki area of Lagos, when he ran into one of the many road blocks mounted by hoodlums under the guise of being fuel subsidy protesters.

He said: “The experience was indeed horrible. I thank God for sparing my life. I commend the timely intervention of the police, who saved me from their stronghold. I met several other road blocks from my residence in Ajah.

The road blocks mounted were about 100 metres away from each other. At one of the points, the hoodlums, who would not listen to me asked what I was doing on the road when I was supposed to be at home, if I was not a government’s agent.

“At that point, they demanded for my identity card when I told them I was journalist working for their interest as a patriotic Nigerian. But they later let me off after extorting me. I was not lucky enough when I got to Jakande Estate, Lekki Bus-stop. The boys there were violent and ordered me to step out of the car as they wouldn’t listen to my plea.

“One of them, suspected to be the leader of the group asked for a jar of petrol to be used to set me alight but at that point, the police patrol team raced to the scene and rescued me from their hands. I quickly sped off to the office in shock.”

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment