Court dissolves 10-year-old marriage over childlessness

Leave a Comment

An Ijebu-Ode Customary Court in Ogun on Wednesday dissolved a 10-year-old marriage between of one Alhaji Ibrahim Oduwole and his wife, Shade, on the ground of childlessness and provocation.

Oduwole had earlier in February taken his wife before the court seeking the dissolution of the 10-year-old marriage accusing her of childlessness, provocation and uncaring attitude towards him.

Oduwole, 70, told the court that Shade, 35, could not bear him children in the last 10 years of their marriage, adding that she was fond of fighting him on a regular basis.

“In spite of the fact that my wife could not bear me children since we got married 10 years ago, she is also fond of fighting me and does not care about my well-being.

“I want immediate dissolution of the marriage, and I also want the court to order her to return all my property back to me,” he said.

The wife, in her response, told the court that her childlessness was not her fault, adding that she had several miscarriages.

“My childlessness is not my fault. I try many times to conceive but, all resulted in miscarriages. “I don’t fight him as he claimed but rather he is the one that use to fight me,” she said.

She, however, agreed that, the marriage be dissolved.

In his ruling, the President of the court, Mr T.O. Kanimodo, said that considering the clear evidence given by the plaintiff, the court had no choice but to dissolve the marriage.

“Having considered the evidence presented by the plaintiff, the 10-year-old marriage is hereby dissolved with immediate effect.”

The court also ordered the respondent to park her belongings from the plaintiff’s house with immediate effect.

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment