Hunter committed suicide in Ibadan

Leave a Comment

A 38-year-old hunter and blacksmith, Amidu Olajire at the weekend committed suicide by shooting himself with a locally made single barrel gun.

The man was said to have committed the act around 6.30am on Saturday in front of an uncompleted bungalow building at Condemned Road, Bakari Area of Ibadan, Oyo State, shortly after visiting his grandmother.

Though, nobody could actually confirm why the man decided to an end his own life but a family source said the late Olajire might have killed himself because of family and health challenges. Sympathizers trooped to the scene to watch the lifeless body of the hunter and father of six, lying in the pool of his own blood.

The hunter’s lifeless body, a long locally made gun, a bottle of gun powder and his handset were yet to be evacuated when journalists visited the scene.

A team of policemen from Apata Division later arrived the scene at about 12.20pm to remove the body.

The deceased’s grandmother popularly known as Iya Osun was said to have fainted on hearing the death of her grandson. She was, however, revived by sympathizers. Iya Osun recalling how the deceased had visited her house at about 6.30am to report his wife who he alleged, had disappeared with his four children since last Thursday.

“He came to me to express his bitterness about the way his wife packed out of the house, and that I should also accompany him to get his medication from his doctor. But I told him that the whole matter would be resolved.

I tried to appeal to him against taking laws into his hand. I told him that we cannot get any treatment from the doctor because we are still indebted to the hospital. After all my explanations, something told me he was not satisfied. I remember him telling me that I will not be happy with the next line of action.”

“That was how he left my house in annoyance as he took Okada and sped off. I don’t know that he was coming here to take his life.” Iya Osun said. The Chairman, of the Landlord Association in the area, Mr. Mathew Bolaji who was busy consoling members of the deceased’s family, described the incident as very shocking and unfortunate, especially to a man like Olajire who was very popular in the area.

A community leader at Bakari, Chief Mukaila Adebayo a.k.a. Mokas while speaking on the incident said “I was in my house this morning at about 7am when I heard a deafening sound of gunshot. few minutes later I heard people crying and when I inquired to know what really happened they confirmed to me that it was Amidu, the blacksmith, that shot himself to death. This is very strange in this area.”

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment