Orphan nabbed for robbing policemen •It’s a lie – Suspect

Leave a Comment

Fingered by a guard for an offence he claimed that he did not commit, Gbenga Towobola, 21, is in trouble for allegedly robbing two unarmed law enforcement agents at gunpoint.

Towobola, who is at present under investigation at the State Criminal Investigation Department in Eleweeran, Abeokuta, Ogun State, was said to have attacked two policemen-Corporal Ibinum Martins and Corporal Omoruyi Efe-and dispossessed them of an unspecified sum of money, alongside other suspected criminals that are still on the run, at some point on the Obantoko-Eleweran Road on Feb 4, 2012.

CRIME DIGEST learnt that after the victims had reported the alleged robbery to the nearest police station, some officers were quickly dispatched to apprehend the hoodlums.

Olusoga Taiwo, the night watchman whose efforts led to Towobola’s arrest, was said to have assisted the police in identifying those involved in the crime. But while Towobola was nabbed, his suspected accomplices managed to escape.

However, Towobola has denied knowledge of the robbery, even as the victims insisted that he was one of those that had attacked and robbed them.

The suspected robber told our correspondent that he was in the neighbourhood to eat and play with friends. He said that on his way home, some men hit in the back and accused him of theft.

Towobola, who claimed to earn a living as a casual worker with the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, admitted that he knew one of the victims of the robbery attack and was surprised hear the man call him a thief.

He said, “I live at Somorin at Obantoko. When I closed from work I went to eat at Alogi. After I had had a meal, I went to play with my friends place in Alogi till around 10 pm. On my way home, I decided not to pass through a shortcut that late at night for safety reasons. I knew the area was very bad and a lot of robbery attacks often took place there.

“So I decided to pass the main road. I was almost at the junction leading to my street when I saw some members of the local vigilance and policemen. They just parked, hit me in the back and said I was an armed robber. I was shocked.

“They started beating me and trying to force me to talk. They said I should tell them where my partner was hiding. I am a casual worker of PHCN. I know one of the policemen. He is a corporal. I have a lot of friends at Alogi. The policeman knows me, too. He knows I stay around and I play a lot there.”

Towobola said he was not a thief and that he was working as a casual labourer to save money for his education.

He claimed that he was tortured by the police in an attempt to make him confess to a crime he did not commit.

He said, “They beat me till I fainted. When I woke up I found myself in the hospital. I did not know how I got there. I know the policeman and he knows me. I am surprised he is saying all this. He said I wanted to collect his motorcycle. A week ago, before this incident occurred, a boy used that same motorcycle to take me somewhere.”

In his reaction to the arrest, the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi told CRIME DIGEST that the case was under investigation and the suspect would be charged to court as soon as it was completed.

Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment