Meet The World Strongest Footballer Adebayo Akinfenwa

Leave a Comment



Ripped: Adebayo Akinfenwa, aka the world's strongest footballer, tears open his shirt


In a busy gym in east London, the world’s strongest footballer is showing why he’s known as ‘The Beast’. 

Having bench pressed 120kg, 140kg and 175kg with minimal trouble, Northampton striker Adebayo  Akinfenwa is readying himself to press 180kg, almost double his body weight. 
He slowly lowers the bar to his chest before pushing it back up. He pauses, lowers it again and attempts to push. The bar barely moves.
Incredible bulk: Northampton striker Akinfenwa controls the ball

For a brief moment The Beast seems to have finally been defeated, but younger brother Dele, part training buddy, part coach, has the words to inspire him: ‘Come on, ain’t nobody in the Football League or Premier League stronger than you, push. PUSH!’ 

It works; Akinfenwa gets a second burst and lifts the bar skyward. He sits up and invites Sportsmail to try. The offer is kindly declined; he is, after all, lifting nearly treble my weight. 
Hat-trick hero: Akinfenwa poses with the first match ball of his career after a game against Accrington in Novembe
r



‘Man, if I got a good grip, I could probably throw you across the room and out the window,’ he laughs. 
No need for a demonstration this time. 

It’s an impressive display, and not without purpose. Akinfenwa, 30, is 16st, 5ft 10in and with 16 goals to his name in League Two this season.

‘I’m a naturally big guy and my whole game style is ball retention and strength,’ explains Akinfenwa, the world’s strongest player according to video game FIFA 13. 

‘I know how to tailor my body and fitness plan to my game. I’m not saying if I get too big it won’t affect my game, but I know my body and know what will improve my game.’

His hulking frame has not always been a blessing, however, and often proved a burden in his youth. 

Big from an early age — a result of Nigerian heritage and a childhood of starchy food — Akinfenwa struggled to get people to see past his size. 

‘Managers would say: “We think you’ve got ability but you’re not fit enough”,’ he recalls.

Released by Watford at 18, Akinfenwa went to Lithuania, then Wales, and through 10 clubs in eight years, including four in one year. A  journeyman career.  

Now settled at Northampton, although his contract is up  at the end of the season,  Akinfenwa admits he is more comfortable in his own skin, but concedes some people may never accept his size. 

‘I don’t fit the stereotypical perception of what a footballer should be,’ he says. ‘People look at me and feel footballers should be 10 stone and able to run around all the time. I’ve just taken to accepting it.

‘It’s part and parcel of football. People don’t understand what they don’t know and like to stick things in boxes. I don’t let things like that affect me so much now.’


Drop Your Facebook Comments Here!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment