 |
Prof. Barth Nnaji , Minister-Designate |
The welled-up hope of a stable power supply in the country may yet wait a while before it becomes a reality, given the not-very-bright picture painted by Professor Barth Nnaji, a minister-designate, who was cleared Wednesday by the Senate.
Nnaji explained that there would be a concerted effort to increase the present megawatts generated by 1000 this year and another 1000 next year. The nation currently generates about 3,400 megawatts.
But the minister-designate expressed confidence that the nation could hit a 15,000- megawatt target by 2014, at which time electricity supply would be stable and guaranteed.
Nnaji, a former special adviser to the president on energy, gave the explanations while answering senators’ questions during the confirmation hearing session.
According to him, the government was planning to have four sources of power. These, he said, were the existing power plants, which had a generating capacity of over 5,000 megawatts but which were currently generating about 2,400 megawatts; the existing Independent Power Plants (IPPs) owned by Shell and Agip; the bulk traders who were expected to buy about 6,000 megawatts of power from private companies; as well as the hydro and coal power plants in Mambilla and Zungeru.
Nnaji argued that “if you calculate the amount of power that will come from all the four sources within the next two years, you would have crossed the 10,000 megawatts because they are already being constructed, and will soon be completed, and by 2014, we should be reaching about 15,000 megawatts.”
President Goodluck Jonathan had said stable electricity supply was a major plank of his administration’s transformation agenda for the country.
And while being screened as well, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala yesterday picked holes in the N150,000 cash withdrawal limit policy being spearheaded by the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
This disagreement may signal policy clash in the new administration, as the minister-designate is likely to head the Finance Ministry.
The World Bank managing director explained that the policy could have negative effect on the nation’s economy and as such, it must be approached with caution.
Sanusi had announced that as from July next year, the withdrawal limit for private individuals per day shall be N150,000, while corporate entities might not withdraw more than N1 million per day.
Okonjo-Iweala expressed this opinion shortly before the Senate confirmed her nomination along with nine other ministerial nominees.
She also expressed reservation on the Islamic Banking plan, also being sponsored by Sanusi.
The nine other ministerial nominees cleared by the Senate were: Nnaji (Enugu), Mr. Olusegun Aganga (Lagos), Dr. Belllo Mohammed (Kebbi), Comrade Abba Moro (Benue), Dr. Samuel Ioraer Ortom (Benue), Prof. (Mrs.) Viola Onwuliri (Imo), Prof. Ita Okon Bassey-Ewa (Akwa Ibom), Erelu Olusola Obada (Osun) and Idris Umar (Gombe).
This brings to 24 the total number of ministerial nominees cleared so far by the upper chamber, leaving 10 more to be screened today.
Of the 10 nominees cleared Wednesday, only six went through the real crucible of senatorial screening, as the other four were simply asked to take a bow and go in obvious contravention of the Senate’s resolution at the beginning of the exercise to subject all nominees to the same time of thorough grilling.
Those who were given the bow-and-go privilege were the Acting National Chairman of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mohammed; former Director General of Senate President David Mark’s senatorial re-election Campaign Organisation, Moro; a self-confessed former motor tout who, despite being a primary school drop-out, struggled to obtain a Ph.D degree, Ortom; and Umar, who was until June 4 a senator.
Answering the senators’ questions, Okonjo-Iweala said although she liked the objective of the proposed peg on cash withdrawal, which was to move the country towards a cashless economy, she expressed reservation that it could discourage the people from keeping their money in the banks.
“If you implement a minimum or a maximum withdrawal, people will decide to keep money in their mattresses and not put them in the bank because they will think they will not be able to withdraw them,” she said, cautioning that “we have to go about it carefully.”
The former finance minister, who also addressed the issue of naira revaluation, said it was not a bad idea, pointing out however that the time for it was not yet ripe.
She said: “If we want to revalue the naira, this will not be the time to think about it, I think we should wait and until things are more stable. We are growing our economy; we are creating jobs; we make sure our young people are working and the sectors we have are really giving what they should before we think in those steps”.